Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

20498 Posts in 2065 Topics- by 1413 Members - Latest Member: Cullens

September 25, 2017, 01:01:40 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: MOAB'S PROJECT: Retro Rebuild  (Read 112113 times)
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:46:20 PM »

Well I just happened to pick up a particular YJ that has been neglected over the last 6-8 years.  It also just happens to be the 1st. Moab Offroad Jeep!!!  This Jeep belonged to a gentleman named Brad Jeffries who originally started Moab Offroad and who I bought the company from 10yrs. ago.  With that said the plans for this jeep are simple.  We're going to build a hardcore wheeler that can still cruise down the highway at 75+ mph.  We're going to keep the suspension simple with leaf springs, use as many bolt on parts as possible for all you DIY'ers, and build a sick trail Jeep that can handle all the hardcore trails, and still drive home on the highway!!!!  I think everyone will enjoy this build and everyone will be able to relate to the finished product and the budget that it was built on!

Now onto some pics of what this rig looked like when we picked it up.

If you were around about 10-12 yrs. ago then you knew that this YJ with Currie Dana 44's, Warn axles, 5 on 5.5" Warn hub conversion, Six States driveshafts, SYE, 4 to 1 t-case, onboard air, Borla header and exhaust, Bullet proof bumpers, Warn 9500i winch, Shanco fortress roll cage, Tuffy console and glove box, IPF lights, Hand throttle, Dual batteries, Rubicon Express 4.5" extreme lift kit, 1" daystar body lift, Teraflex revolver shackles, and 33" Super Swamper SSR tires, was one of the best built YJ around.  So well built for it's time that it got featured in 4Wheel and Sport Utility as the "Kentucky Wrangler"  

Now time has taken it's toll and that is when this YJ crossed my path.  Here it was the first Moab Offroad Jeep, neglected, abused, and needing a little Max love.  What was I going to do?  I've never met a Jeep I didn't like, and the timing and price was right.  I had just sold my beloved CJ unfortunatly, and my daily driver TJ http://moab-offroad.net/smf/index.php?topic=281.0, so why not build a daily driver hardcore square head light Jeep?  Right?  So sit back and save this thread to your favorites because I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

This thing needed some major TLC check out these pics....

this is the mouse nest that was in the glove box.  YUCK!

wow look at all these wires....   Shocked

"SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL JEEP SHOP"
FOLLOW MY BUILD
skipfierce

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:57:55 AM »

Please tell me you're going to remove those lights and "It's a Jeep thing" sticker.  Wink

Just f'ing with you. Should be a fun build.

The CJ!

My drinking club has a rock crawling problem!
KatKrahel

'03 Tomb Raider ready for adventure

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:22:02 AM »

Bring on the MAX love and turn that into another beast of a Jeep!
Skinny Cook
Global Moderator

Sell'n BBQ at the Piston Cup !

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »

Just make sure you put a round headlight grill in it.  Tongue  Grin 

I eat,sleep,ride,talk,breathe,dream,live and love my JeePin !
skipfierce

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 07:13:24 AM »

Just make sure you put a round headlight grill in it.  Tongue  Grin 

The CJ!

My drinking club has a rock crawling problem!
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:28 PM »

So I've been trying to organize my pics of this thing to get this build caught up.  I started working on it the end of last summer.  But still need to get some photo's uploaded.  stay tuned.   Wink  I'm still working on this rig for this years wheelin season and it's starting to look real good!!!!  More pics tomorrow!

-Max

FOLLOW MY BUILD
KatKrahel

'03 Tomb Raider ready for adventure

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:54:10 AM »

Looking forward to the photos!  Not to mention trail riding  Grin
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:12:21 AM »

This rig had alot of IPF lights and BS on it and that lead to a mess of wires that doug is starting to clean up and remove in this pic.

here Doug is trying to make sense of the CB and stereo wiring and we took the hard top off.

the next item on the list of things to remove were these.

and the basket rack.  it wouldn't clear 37" tires  Grin

Suprisingly this 1993 YJ only has 30,000 MILES ON IT and with the charger on it, it fired right up.

FOLLOW MY BUILD
seejaystj

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 08:53:05 PM »

How did our cage measurements work out?
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:12:10 PM »

How did our cage measurements work out?

great thanks for the help Jay!   Wink

here are some more pics to get this thread caught up.

the MORE shackles that replaced the revolver shackles.

then I took off the fender flares, sanded and rattle canned the ft. fenders, cut out the wheel openings to clear 37's and my walker evans beadlocks, re-geared the axes to 5.38's, put a Gen-Right ft. bumper on it and took it wheelin at the K&I fourwheelers summmer picinic (pirate run arrrr).

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/moab-offroad/Retro%20Rebuild/?action=view&current=BlueJeep1008038.flv

then it went on another trail ride with a few more added goodies...  the Gateway to the Cumberlands Jeep Jamboree!!!

it was muddy!!!

then onto the week o wheelin trip.  It was on these 2 trail rides that I realized that the rear shocks were not right and kept bottoming out.  Bang, bang, bang that sucked!!!

here we are getting a lil help from our friends.  Grin

due to the rear shocks having about 2" of uptravel that trail ride sucked for the blue jeep.  and shortly after this photo I broke the rear d-shaft on a big rock!!!!  and thankfully for GREAT friends and customers the trip was a blast.

the next day Kelly and I drove all over TN trying to find a pinion seal, that we ended up getting next day aired.  The drive shaft was fixed and we headed back to the campsite. completely exhausted.  Kelly snapped this photo of me making some dinner which captured how hungry and wore out I was from chasing parts all day. lol.

Got the d-shaft put in in the morning and now its the true test........   Driving this jeep 4 hrs. back from TN on the HWY!!!!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked

here's a pic kelly took from the pass. seat while doing 75 MPH the whole way home with a bikini top on and the diesel dawg in the back seat.

You guessed it the jeep did great.  We headed back home and got ready for some more upgrades!   Wink

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »

Okay so next on the build was the Rugged Ridge Super Short SYE from Omix.

I changed from the old SYE to make room for a longer rear D-shaft to accomodate this lil bit O' bling.   Grin

Ever since I sold my red CJ I kinda missed these axles.   Grin  It's a Alum. Currie Rock Jock 60 w/ 35 spline shafts, detroit locker and explorer disc brakes.  Wink

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 09:59:30 PM »

Maybe you all arn't into "square Jeeps" and leaf springs.......   Huh   But when this thing gets freshened up I bet your lunch money you'll like this one.   Grin  And what the heck is wrong with leaf springs anyways???  Their simple, they work, and I never had too many problems following the linked guys with my red CJ.    Shocked Cool  ohhhhh and did I mention it cruises down the Hwy. at 75-80 no problem?  lol. With 37's fully loaded and the Diesel dawg.  hahahahahah

stay tuned!!!

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Skinny Cook
Global Moderator

Sell'n BBQ at the Piston Cup !

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 08:30:37 AM »

Hey now you KNOW how I feel about leaf springs.  Tongue

OK, here's an idea,,,,let's leaf spring my LJ ??  4.5 RE Super flex kit ??

I bet that hasn't been done ?  Shocked  Shocked  Grin

I eat,sleep,ride,talk,breathe,dream,live and love my JeePin !
TTTGOWYO

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 12:24:10 PM »

Hey, My Bronco has leafs on the back.  Grin  That thing is gonna be nice.

I have nothing clever to say here...  sorry Wink
High Pockets

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »

the next day Kelly and I drove all over TN trying to find a pinion seal, that we ended up getting next day aired.  The drive shaft was fixed and we headed back to the campsite. completely exhausted.  Kelly snapped this photo of me making some dinner which captured how hungry and wore out I was from chasing parts all day. lol.

Got the d-shaft put in in the morning and now its the true test........   Driving this jeep 4 hrs. back from TN on the HWY!!!!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked

You guessed it the jeep did great.  We headed back home and got ready for some more upgrades!   Wink

That's the most time we've gotten to spend just the two of us together all at once since this time last year. So, sadly, I look back fondly on that long day we spent driving EVERYWHERE looking for that damn part....   lol    Undecided
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Print
Jump to: