Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

20497 Posts in 2065 Topics- by 1406 Members - Latest Member: bmcneely

May 29, 2017, 06:29:35 PM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: I'M ASKING ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!  (Read 195224 times)
3j7

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 03:59:50 AM »

Max, I like the scrambler tub w/the tj front end.  Cut the hood at an angle for visibility and clearance.  110' wheelbase is a little long but will climb like the dickens, so i see where you are going with it.  just make sure to run hydraulic assist ( Grin) with those 40s.  Four links front and rear with coilovers.  I agree with whoever said ou wwould over load air shocks.  I would also do air bumps, just in case you see a little air time  Grin.  Arb cooler for those hot hot nights.  Did i say rear steer?  700r4.  I know its a lot of work, but how bout channeling the tub?  you could keep your door openings but cut 3-4 inches out of the height of the tub, and still run a factory top...

Its all fun and games 'til someone gets hurt...
Then its hilarious!!
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 05:17:00 AM »

NOW WE'RE TALKIN' scrambler tub... TJ front end lowered grill mount/shortened grill for better visibility, 3J7 you and I are seeing eye to eye. coilovers, air bumps, 40's, i agree hydro assist is a must. however expand a little on how you would channel the tub?Huh are we talking in the rocker panel area so that custom doors are not needed? if so then what about doing boat sides like in the pic of the green one?

the arb cooler and other interior goodies we'll get into later. let's get the hard parts and big items lined out first. interior goodies will be fun!

"SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL JEEP SHOP"
FOLLOW MY BUILD
bairy

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 06:05:10 AM »

if you are going to channel the tub, channeling doors would be real easy.

06 Unlimited
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 06:10:52 AM »

soft doors only... and i'm not sewing s**t!!!! Grin Grin Grin

FOLLOW MY BUILD
3j7

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »

yeah i would channel around the door openings so you can use factory style doors.  This way the area under the door openings would only be about 2 inches tall (easy to make rocker guards)  if you took 4 inches out of the tub.  The only problem i have found with this idea is the brake master cylinder is already close to the hood on a heep, and if you lower the mount you will get into the engine's space.  I recently saw a hot rod build where they mounted the master cylinder in the passenger compartment under the dash, transverse to the way it is normaly mounted utilizing a lever setup.  It was wicked but probably really complicated...
I also like the idea of narrowing a tub, but that destroys and chance of being able to use factory parts...  In 4wd and sport utility magazine there is a chick that runs a scrambler with a stock length but custom narrowed aluminum tub on 42s.  This thing is badass.
It also has to have a flat bottom (the jeep i mean).

Then its hilarious!!
Skinny Cook
Global Moderator

Sell'n BBQ at the Piston Cup !

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »

Boat sides would be alot better. Take a look at ANY Scrambler that has been offroaded. It has stress waves in the body just below the door. Channeling that area would weaken it. I know it can be reinforced, BUT for where we live and where we wheel 90% of the time, Boat sides would work better. Narrowing the body would not even be an option. Besides, you want to screw around for 2 or 3 yrs building/fabricating this thing or do you want to go wheelin in it ?  Roll Eyes  Grin 

DAMN I love that big green monster. Max I would ALMOST consider the Scrambourbon for a project like that.  Shocked  Grin  I would have to be able to drive it on the street though.

I eat,sleep,ride,talk,breathe,dream,live and love my JeePin !
3j7

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 12:37:20 PM »

I agree channeling would be alot of work, but it can be made as strong or stronger than stock if you do it right.  i suggested it for the low center of gravity.  I wish i could lower mine 4" and still have the same belly height!  plus, with boat sides you are cutting (weakening) the same area of the tub.  Although you would be less likely to hit it.  I guess it all comes down to personal preference.  And both are going to involve a goodly amount of fab time...  And i agree with you about narrowing the body ( but it is very cool).  Also didn't think about the stress on the tub because of the length, good call on that one.
If you want easy, just run the tub stock and slap some rocker guards on it and call it good. Grin

Then its hilarious!!
samb.

Email
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 03:25:04 PM »

I agree channeling would be alot of work, but it can be made as strong or stronger than stock if you do it right.  i suggested it for the low center of gravity.  I wish i could lower mine 4" and still have the same belly height!  plus, with boat sides you are cutting (weakening) the same area of the tub.  Although you would be less likely to hit it.  I guess it all comes down to personal preference.  And both are going to involve a goodly amount of fab time...  And i agree with you about narrowing the body ( but it is very cool).  Also didn't think about the stress on the tub because of the length, good call on that one.
If you want easy, just run the tub stock and slap some rocker guards on it and call it good. Grin

i wouldnt narrow the body, he was wanting to run it on the street and that would make him have to
A: get a custom top
B: run no top
C: umm

but on the boatsides/channeling i would go boatsides so if you get in some water youll kinda float  Grin
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 03:44:48 PM »

FLOAT Grin hahahaa so are we saying for street purposes.... no narrow/channel, boat sides or for time sake rocker guards.... hmmm we might have to address this a little more when the tub work starts. i'm loving all this input it's gonna be cool when this project starts.

FOLLOW MY BUILD
"Benny D"

Hold my beer & watch this!

Email
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 09:54:17 AM »

A built scramber would be sick, however a minimum wheelbase of 112 would be loooooonnnnnnggggg!  Max I don't want to have to spot you going through obstacles in reverse (for all who went to williamsburg) Grin  I would definitely go with coil-overs for daily highway driving.  I think that boat sides if done right look really good!  Keep it low and wide - - and you already know I like the coilover hoops through the hood!
bairy

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »

A built scramber would be sick, however a minimum wheelbase of 112 would be loooooonnnnnnggggg!  Max I don't want to have to spot you going through obstacles in reverse (for all who went to williamsburg) Grin  I would definitely go with coil-overs for daily highway driving.  I think that boat sides if done right look really good!  Keep it low and wide - - and you already know I like the coilover hoops through the hood!

It was the combination of width of those monster tires,full width axles and the height of that 8 that were making things difficult  Grin

I think a LCG cj8 that has been channeled in the body 2 inches with clearanced fenders would be great. Keep the wheelbase long with a nice solid boatside center that will not get hurt when you slide it over things.

06 Unlimited
Skinny Cook
Global Moderator

Sell'n BBQ at the Piston Cup !

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »

It's those 39.5x16.5x15 balloon tires/rims that made that thing hard to get thru. Most times it will go thru like a greased pig.  Grin

I eat,sleep,ride,talk,breathe,dream,live and love my JeePin !
3j7

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »

There you go!!!  You need to hook up the windsheild washer to some lines in your rear wheelwells and run bleach in it like the old drag racers used to do!! 
Instant smokey burnouts!!!

Then its hilarious!!
Uncle Jeremy

Simple Man

WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 08:09:46 PM »

Check out the New JP Magazine.
 there is a scrambler in there w/40's and a v8/automatic/ATLASII
sounds somewhat familiar.
J

MOAB   OFFROAD
"Benny D"

Hold my beer & watch this!

Email
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 07:56:22 AM »

Yeah im not knocking the guys rig - - I thought it was pretty cool - - but when building one from scratch - - I would keep it lower and not quite as wide!  Most of the trails here in KY/TN are pretty tight!  Out in Moab he wouldn't have a thing to worry about.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76
Print
Jump to: