Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

20498 Posts in 2065 Topics- by 1413 Members - Latest Member: Cullens

September 25, 2017, 12:58:19 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: I'M ASKING ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!  (Read 208073 times)
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« on: April 14, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »

Let's build my next rig together.  I'm curious what everyone on the forum considers the "ultimate rig" highway, rock crawlin', trail riding, expedition, camping out of, jumping in the sand dunes, 4 seat/2 seat, what suspension, what trans. man/auto, CJ/YJ/TJ/LJ/scambler?Huh basically a self-sufficient rig on-board air/welder room for a spare tire/parts, wheel hardcore and cruise down the highway at 80mph. i've got a small parts list started, from that let's build the ultimate rig!!!!!!

Here's the list so far:
FOOL inj. chevy 350
Atlas 4.3 t-case
Currie Rock Jock 60 rear axle, 40 spline alloy shafts, detroit locker, disc brakes
Currie Rock Jock 60 front axle, wilwood 4 piston caliper disc brakes 35 spline alloy inner and outer shafts, yukon super u-joints, detroit locker
NP 435 4sp. man. trans
turbo 400 3sp. auto trans
700R4 4sp. auto trans
37,39, or 42" tires?Huh
Walker Evans polished beadlock wheels
Warn 9.5ti winch with syn. winchline
Powertank

so seats, cage, guages, tub, suspension, wheel base, 2 or 4 seat, tranny, tires, there is alot of stuff left.  I think everyone could come up with something pretty cool and then stop by the shop and witness the progress when the build begins, or follow a build thread on the forum.

As of 7-11-09 this is what its starting to look like.

"SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL JEEP SHOP"
FOLLOW MY BUILD
bairy

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 06:14:08 AM »

Spider trax 9" axles and their new 1550 outers and tru-Hi-9's (you need practice before building mine)

I would love to see a 4 seater complete tube frame buggy with standard TJ/LJ armor wrapped around it to make it look "normal" on the street and allow a place for a top to mount.

I would stick with an auto and maybe one of the exorbitant overdrive boxes.(hell, it is not my money)

Coilovers and 4 links...

I have a dreamed of making an "active/passive" suspension using Double acting pneumatic cylinders mounted with the coilovers that can either extend or collapse each corner. It would be a total passive system that that just assists. It could also be turned completely off by venting all the lines.

06 Unlimited
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:19:01 AM »

now were talking.... barry i love the spider 9's however i've already spent about 10k on the rockjocks.  I'm thinking scrambler/LJ 4 seat with a full soft top for the muddy days. and an auto fo sho' now my axles can handle 42's should we go that big???

max

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Skinny Cook
Global Moderator

Sell'n BBQ at the Piston Cup !

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »

38 or 40's.  Wink

Auto's are for women,,,,drive a 5speed NV4500 with that Atlas.  Grin   Cool

I eat,sleep,ride,talk,breathe,dream,live and love my JeePin !
bairy

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:00:15 PM »

40" seems plenty to me. Why max out(pun?) anything in the strength department. Unless you were going to run a really long wheel base, I would not go over the 40 mark. The weight and rev/mile detriments of tires are near exponential to the diameter. Roll Eyes Huh Grin

I think 4 matching suspension seats and harnesses looks and will work awesome.

Ever been in a suspension seat and feel like your lower back is going to explode when you still bottom out? I have had the pleasure in a 700hp sand rail in the glamis sand dunes...air time may look fun from outside... but inside  Shocked Shocked

I don't like the the scrambler with it's rear overhang. I think it is awesome for mild...not for wild. I think the LJ length is nice, but stretch the WB to the same departure as a TJ.(5 inches?) that would be near/just under a nice 110 WB.

06 Unlimited
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:13:47 PM »

barry i agree with 40's i've got enough engine and axles for that size and i think it will still be safe on the street.  however i thought a scrambler with a 110-112" wheel base (to eliminate the rear overhang)would be ideal since the scrambler has more storage room than a LJ.  we have to keep in mind this vehicle will be used for trail repairs/rescue at the jeep jamboree, looking good on the street, and throwing it down with some hardcore beer drinking wheelers on this forum. so i think 40's minimum on tire, 110" min. on W.B., now let's talk a little bit about suspension..... air shocks or coilovers?Huh ohh yeah seats... hmmm thats hard we're a dealer for Beard, PRP, Mastercraft, Corbeau.... what everyone's take on seats?Huh??  I'm really curious what and why. we've sold alot of different seats to custmers i'd love their input.

FOLLOW MY BUILD
samb.

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »

coils
but airshocks are sweet to

wouldnt be hard to build it off that scrambler unless the frame is pretty rusty or its in mint cond.
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 05:08:31 AM »

thats what i was thinking Samb... i've got a line on a scrambler tub and i already have a YJ frame that i was thinking about using. plus all of my wiring, pedals, steering col. and box, etc. would work. i thought coilovers would be more reliable on the street more $$$$ than air shocks, and air shocks are more simple..... hmm. thats a hard toss up.

max

FOLLOW MY BUILD
bairy

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 05:10:31 AM »

scrambler works for me if you stretch the WB in the rear.

coils, air shocks?
Coilovers are costly. Tuning them right would be more difficult when you could vary the weight in the rear drastically(people, parts and fizzy hop based beverages) 
But still much better than standard coils.

Air shocks are well proven off road, on road--? sustained 80mph Huh  Keeping nitrogen onboard would be almost necessary. Scrambler? Iron block v8? 4 adults? parts? I think you  will overload the airshocks. Add the fade of on road driving and....I say..

coilovers front and rear.

06 Unlimited
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 05:15:55 AM »

definatly coilovers if we're suggesting that on the street will be more than 50% of the time.... which it just might be, most trail/daily drivers are. coilovers are what i've been leaning toward but price and maintaining them are more involved than air shocks.... barry i'm kinda lazy. hahahhahaha. just kidding! your bring up great points to think about. wish more people on here would chime in!!!!

max

FOLLOW MY BUILD
DIGGER

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »

I like all of your suggestions, but what about the exterior features. Like a chrome light bar with KC Daylighters! What do you think about that? 

BADD TUFF
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »

hmmmmmmmm............................................. well....................... hmm ........................... what if i roll?Huh? i actually have some KC H.I.D. driving lights 8" dia. that cost about 1000.00 around here somewhere. i've been think about using them. what do you think??? no light bar for me cause i know this rig is gonna "flop", "Barrel roll" you know it is bound to happen!!!

max

FOLLOW MY BUILD
DIGGER

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »

Man I never thought about that, I would never try to drive on anything if I thought that I was going to roll! Well what about a bunch of cool chrome accessories, like windshield whippers, grill covers, mirrors, etc. Thats how I think ultimate jeeps should have.

BADD TUFF
bairy

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 06:11:34 AM »

... i know this rig is gonna "flop", "Barrel roll" you know it is bound to happen!!!

max

I think too far and becasue of by experience in engineering...

attach a sacrificial hoop to the top of the jeep(side to side) halfway but slightly forward of the centerline of the wheelbase.  Use simple poly joints so it can swing freely up. Should go up maybe 24". Attach a pneumatic cylinder(I like these Grin), solenoid and a tilt/roll/mercury switch to it. when you are going over, the bar will go up giving some resistance and keep you on the side instead of on the top. I mention sacrificial becasue you want it to bend and absorb any shock. Maybe some standard 1" tubing. Think of it as disposable.
2 bars/hoop would be very easy. Attach them at the top and they will still require only 1 cylinder to lift.

sorry, I think about this complicated crap.
I used to build and design these types of automated machines..My mind never stops designing.

But who wants to build for the anticipation of a rollover  Grin

06 Unlimited
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 06:36:08 AM »

barry you are cracking me up... this thread is a good one.

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 76
Print
Jump to: