Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

20498 Posts in 2065 Topics- by 1413 Members - Latest Member: Cullens

October 19, 2017, 06:30:09 PM
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project... erm.... Pink?  (Read 4052 times)
coach

Backwoods Hillbilly

WWW Email
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:29:47 AM »

Figured I'd give this section some life.  For those of you that don't know, I picked up an XJ for Jamie about a month ago.

Specs:  
2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Stock as @%!#

Whoever had this thing before probably really peeved somebody off.  Dents, bb or shotgun pellet holes... I'm not sure.

Here it is the day we picked it up.  

The hood latch wasn't really working.  Concerned me driving it home, but the guy said he drove it like that all the time.  Flew up on Jamie while she was driving it home.  That sucked.

So the hood was trashed and the tailgate was is really bad shape.  We ran to the salvage yard and picked up a matching color hood and tailgate.  Fortunately, this color XJ is about as common as the name "John", so no mismatched colors.

For those of you that don't know, Jamie rolled my rig pretty bad down in Harlan during the Southern Shine Crawl. This project was for her to learn on since she "supervised" me during my most recent build (read also "drank beer" while I worked).  Her being laid up on crutches didn't help that any, so I got to work on it while she "supervised" again.

Just the simple stuff at first.  Replaced the hood and tailgate.  Pulled the headliner and replaced it.  She wanted a nice stereo in there, so all the speakers and the cd player was replaced.  Kickers in the back, components in the front with a JVC head unit that is capable of multiple colors.  Why do I mention this?

Because it can change colors to... pink.

*sighs*

So then my next task was to put on some vinyl interior covers for the console and such... in pink camo from Mossy Oak (this stuff is a PITA btw).

Aaaannnd next, I get to replace all the interior bulbs with LEDs.  Guess what color the dash is?  Guess what color the shifter lights are?  Guess what color the transfer case shifter is?

If you guessed pink, you would be correct.   Roll Eyes  There's pics somewhere

Jamie like LEDs.  She likes them for lighting.  Turn signal and parking lights were changed from the orange to the smoked color.  LEDs replaced the stock bulbs.  I have to admit, this looked pretty good.

She also wanted LED headlights, but didn't want to pay the truck-lite prices.  She found those H4 LED replacement lights. I tried to explain the whole thing about reflectors being designed for specific lights and that you can't throw LEDs into a housing and still get a good cut-off and beam pattern.  Objections were overcome with "this isn't a daily driver".  I will admit that I was curious about them since the cheap arses on various forums talk about how awesome they are and how bright the output it with a good cutoff beam.  I've spoken MANY times on how bad of an idea they are and how much of an arsehole that people are that run them on the road, but never seen them first hand.

So, keeping in mind that this wasn't a daily driver and the only time that they would be used would be on the trails at night, I agreed to get them.  Got an H4 conversion housing at the same time and put them in.  The LED H4 conversion lights I got also had a concave reflector in touts it as being able to focus the beam better than any other on the market...

Thoughts:

They are bright.  I can see at night 1000 times better than I could with standard sealed lights.  Comparable to truck-lites.  Not quite as good as JW speakers.  Not as good as Vision-X's soon to be released LED headlights either.

The size of the bulbs requires use of a hole saw in the back of the bucket on XJs for the cooling fan to fit.

The cutoff sucks.  It does scatter light.  Laws of physics cannot be overcome in terms of light reflection and projection.

On a trail only rig, sure... go right ahead.  If these get most their use on the road, people will hate you.

So, we should be done with the goofy stuff for now.  Next up is the real fun part of the build.  Here's the plans.

JCR Vanguard front bumper, JCR Cut a& Fold rear, JCR rear corner armor and JCR Crusader sliders.  Getting the Hyline Offroad XJ Hood Louvers. She's getting my winch and I'm going to get something else for my rig. Oh did I mention, she got PINK synthetic line for the winch???   Cry

Axles will be an HPD44 front, Ford 9 rear loaded with Ten Factory shafts and Motive gears.  Both locked.  Rolling on Allied beadlocks with 37" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers.  Sound familiar?  Yes, she's getting my axles and tires.  I'm going tons and 40s.

'95 YJ with a bunch of stuff scattered on the garage floor.
jp fan
Wheeler's Guild

ryan_hall@hotmail.com
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »

Can't wait to see all these upgrades XJ is looking good, glad to see her putting a ladies touch to it
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:41:47 PM »

Sweet can't wait to see it coming together.

"SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL JEEP SHOP"
FOLLOW MY BUILD
4banger

No matter where you go, there you are!

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 05:39:40 AM »

Don't forget the pink rings for the bead locks!    Grin     Can't wait to see it all come together on both rigs, .............. Minus the pink.........
What's the plans for suspension?  Springs? Control arms? Steering?

Drive it like you stole it, especially if you did steal it!
coach

Backwoods Hillbilly

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 05:15:33 AM »

Since it's going to me running my current axles and tires, she's going to need some help turning 37s.  Going with a similar hydro-assist setup to what I've got now, along with keeping the high steer.

Suspension, I'm not totally sure on yet.  I've considered radius, LA, bolt-on after setting up the front axle with standard TJ/XJ style bracketry.  I really like the way a three-link works, but have concerns about the amount of stress the UCA puts on the frame.  Since it is a unibody, my idea is to distribute that with plating the underbody and have a brace plate opposite in the floorboard inside the cabin.  I plan to stiffen the unibody as much as possible.  An internal cage will be going in, so that will be one of the first parts of the build and a lot of other stuff will be fit around that and where it ends up.  Anyway, the front is a bit of a question mark at the moment.  

Rear will stay leaf sprung with only minor changes.  If anyone remembers the early planning stages of my YJ build, I really wanted to incorporate leaf spring sliders into it, but wasn't able to make it work.  I will be able to run these in the rear of the XJ with no problem.  I do still want to run the Baja Bushings, but I'm having a hard time finding them, so they may be discontinued.

Oh... and the rings will be pink!  Also, looks like the rig is going to be getting a coat of Monstaliner... in pink.  I think her color scheme is going to be pink and argent or black.

*cries*

'95 YJ with a bunch of stuff scattered on the garage floor.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: