Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

20498 Posts in 2065 Topics- by 1413 Members - Latest Member: Cullens

September 24, 2017, 11:17:17 PM
Moab Offroad's 4x4 CommunityAll Things Not JeepToyota'sStretched, linked, shocked, and stuck.....a little update on an old rig
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Stretched, linked, shocked, and stuck.....a little update on an old rig  (Read 1062 times)
Scooter

Just a bunch of junk parts

Email
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »

It has been a while since I have posted any new pics of my old Toylet. Since others are posting pics, I figured I would join in on the fun. 

About this time last year I started on new project on the rig. I had been fighting leaf springs on the front for a while and was fed up with driveshaft and axle-wrap issues.   I decided the easiest way to fix all these issues was to bite the bullet and link the front end.

I pulled the front axle and cleaned all the brackets and unnecessary mounts from the axle and frame.

I puchased a truss kit from Barnes for the GM Dana 60 and burnt it in.

Slid the front axle under the rig and went to town. Used 1.25" heims on the lowers and 7/8" on the uppers. Mocked the lowers with square tubing but went with 2.25" 7075 Aluminum links.

Went with 14" ORI's for the support in place of the leaf springs. This is a trail truck and there is not much room up front so the ORI's made sense when considering packaging of bumps, limit straps, and something to stop the sway.

Here it is after rolling out of the shop to check clearances. Still had a few things to finish but it was getting close.

Wheelbase went from 112" to 120".  So the front axle went forward 8 inches.

The aluminum links are beef. Wide Open Design made them and they turned out great.

Really like all the changes the linked front made. Rides great, no more driveshaft issues, no more axle wrap, and better approach angle.  Took the truck on several trips and didn't really have any issues with the suspension.

Did have to change fuel cells. Went with an RCI unit and had to make a mount.

Also decided it was time for some real offroad seats and harnesses.

Next it was time to get the tie rod up out of the rocks. New high steer arms and tie rod. Tie rod is 1.25 .120 wall DOM inside of 1.5 .120 DOM. Should be stout but it is heavy.

After a few trips to Slade I cut a sidewall in one of the TSL's. This tire already had one cut sidewall so I took it to have it vulcanized.  That didnt turn out well due to the age of my tires. They were really dry rotted and were started to delaminate.  Started looking for some new rubbers. It broke my heart cause I'm  usually a cheap ass but I found what I was looking for.

I still can't get over the difference the tires made. If you are considering going to a sticky tire, dont consider any more. I have a few improvements that will be made this spring but I plan to do more wheeling this year than ever in order to enjoy all the improvements I made last year. Hope to see everyone on the trails.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Toy on Tons, TBI 350, th350, 203/205 triple sticked, 60/14bolt locked, 43" stickies & an Exo Cage
ctec4rxj
Administrator

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »

Looking good

Devil Dog Racing - Semper FI - Carpe Diem
jp fan
Wheeler's Guild

ryan_hall@hotmail.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:22:27 PM »

Dang man this rig has turned into a real beast, the whole rig looks great. Can't wait to see it, that truss looks great and them ORI struts are SWEEEET
4banger

No matter where you go, there you are!

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »

I can testify to his stickies. You couldn't even tell it was a v8 rig when he idled up "your turn".  Just sayin........

Drive it like you stole it, especially if you did steal it!
4banger

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »

I've been meaning to tell you your headlight covers are upside down..........

Scooter

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 08:32:13 AM »

Thanks guys. It has been a blast making this thing what it is. It still has limitations and weigh is my biggest problem now. Thinking of turning all the hardcore parts into a buggy in the coming years in order to shed the weight.  

The tires really are amazing. I had several friends that have been running them for a while and all I hear is that they get better the more wear they have. Here is a vid of the rig coming up the exit of "Your Turn". To be fair, I have never seen Harlan as dry as it was that weekend.

http://youtu.be/rk2lik7D8Rs

The head light covers are upside down because the lights are mounted upside down. Covers will only go one one way. I also do that so its easy to see when the rig is on its lid.

Toy on Tons, TBI 350, th350, 203/205 triple sticked, 60/14bolt locked, 43" stickies & an Exo Cage
4banger

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »

Oh no!  Let's go on a couple rides before you do that Ben!!

Scooter

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »

Oh no!  Let's go on a couple rides before you do that Ben!!

HaHaHa........right now the plan is to spend this year sourcing an LS, 2 more 14" ORI's, the needed heims for the rear, and a new rad/fan combo.  I will start building a chassis around this time next year using spare parts we have at the shop for mock up.  I will not tear my rig down until at least a year and a half from now when the chassis is mostly complete.  I am going to do as much as possible to not spend more than 3 months without a rig.  This is just in theory of course. Grin

3j7

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »

Oh no!  Let's go on a couple rides before you do that Ben!!

HaHaHa........right now the plan is to spend this year sourcing an LS, 2 more 14" ORI's, the needed heims for the rear, and a new rad/fan combo.  I will start building a chassis around this time next year using spare parts we have at the shop for mock up.  I will not tear my rig down until at least a year and a half from now when the chassis is mostly complete.  I am going to do as much as possible to not spend more than 3 months without a rig.  This is just in theory of course. Grin

good call lol
Hopefully I won't have to go through that again  
Rig looks good btw

Its all fun and games 'til someone gets hurt...
Then its hilarious!!
Scooter

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:39 AM »

Oh no!  Let's go on a couple rides before you do that Ben!!

HaHaHa........right now the plan is to spend this year sourcing an LS, 2 more 14" ORI's, the needed heims for the rear, and a new rad/fan combo.  I will start building a chassis around this time next year using spare parts we have at the shop for mock up.  I will not tear my rig down until at least a year and a half from now when the chassis is mostly complete.  I am going to do as much as possible to not spend more than 3 months without a rig.  This is just in theory of course. Grin

good call lol
Hopefully I won't have to go through that again  
Rig looks good btw
Thanks Josh! We need to get together this spring. Its been too damn long.

peej23

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »

Thanks guys. It has been a blast making this thing what it is. It still has limitations and weigh is my biggest problem now. Thinking of turning all the hardcore parts into a buggy in the coming years in order to shed the weight.  

The tires really are amazing. I had several friends that have been running them for a while and all I hear is that they get better the more wear they have. Here is a vid of the rig coming up the exit of "Your Turn". To be fair, I have never seen Harlan as dry as it was that weekend.

The head light covers are upside down because the lights are mounted upside down. Covers will only go one one way. I also do that so its easy to see when the rig is on its lid.

That's some nice driving in the blue truck. Where is this video taken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon - - - I thought you of all people would be leaning toward sched. 4:20 for your kitchen
Scooter

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 06:23:29 AM »

That's some nice driving in the blue truck. Where is this video taken?

Thanks! The video was taken in Harlan. That particular trail is "Your Turn". That was the first time I had been all the way out the top. The trail had been blocked for several years. Even before they cleared the exit it was one of my favorites. Now that you can run it straight in to "Crawford's Cry" it is even better.

peej23

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 05:27:12 PM »

Looks like a fun hill. Don't believe I've been to that one.

Nice job

Jon - - - I thought you of all people would be leaning toward sched. 4:20 for your kitchen
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: