Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

20497 Posts in 2065 Topics- by 1413 Members - Latest Member: Cullens

July 27, 2017, 11:44:26 AM
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Bad Hair Day's PROJECT: The Black Pearl  (Read 10322 times)
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »

My black TJ started off as a stock 2000 TJ with front end damage, bent front axle and bent frame.  It was purchased by my good friend and customer David Brown a.k.a. downtown dave brown.  He started his build by getting the frame straightened by Riggs frame and alignment and replacing the ft. axle with a Currie high pinion dana 44 with alloy axles and OX u-joints.  Then the Jeep got a new ft. clip, paint, and 6" fender flares.  Since the ft. suspension was wasted in the wreck Dave went with a 5.5" R.E. long-arm suspension system and put a OX locker in the rear dana 44 with superior 33 spl. axles.  Traction was supplied via 36 X 12.5 - 15 Super Swamper SX on 15 X 10 Champion beadlocks.  Ft. bumper was a M.O.R.E. supplied with a Warn 9500 winch. The rear bumper was a Durango 4X4 with swing-out tire carrier.......  Then after not hearing from Dave for about 10 months I got a phone call from his wife that completely devastated me.  She said that Dave had been real sick and had passed away.  That was one of the hardest conversations I've ever had in the 9 years of doing Moab Offroad.  I was on the last wheeling trip that Dave ever went on and knew his wife and 3 children real well.  Dave was alot more than a good customer he was fun loving guy that liked making people happy and I'm blessed to have been a part of his life for the short time that I was......  During my phone conversation with Cheryl she told me that Dave's jeep was going to be auctioned off for their kids trust fund and that Dave would have wanted no one else but me to have it.  Long, sad story short I purchased the jeep. Here's the way it looked when I took ownership.

"SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL JEEP SHOP"
FOLLOW MY BUILD
skipfierce

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:20:09 AM »

Jeez man..that's a tough story to read. That really sucks about your friend Dave. So, any future build plans for it? Maybe kind of a dedication build in the memory of Dave?

The CJ!

My drinking club has a rock crawling problem!
rsiebert7

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »

What will come of the good old Black Pearl?  Time to get it back on the trail with a cooler full of sierra nevada, no bottle opener(teeth only!), and the sound of drunken pirates coming across the cb.
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »

What will come of the good old Black Pearl?  Time to get it back on the trail with a cooler full of sierra nevada, no bottle opener(teeth only!), and the sound of drunken pirates coming across the cb.

hahaha the 1st mate of the black pearl for both owners.  let me introduce Ryan Siebert!!! haha how about Dave and his bottle opener.... his teeth ouch... god he was a trip. 

Now on to the transformation.  In this pic. we updated the ft. of the TJ with a Currie rock crawler stubby bumper with steering box skid and optional grill hoop.  The winch got updated with a new Warn HS9500i with syn. winchline, alum. fairlead, and saftey thimble from Viking Offroad.

Here you can see the Currie ft. Anti-Rock offroad swaybar with alum. arms and 17" polished Walker Evans beadlocks.  We also upgraded the ft. axle with the Warn 5 on 5.5" locking hub conversion to handle the 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers.

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:51:22 AM »

Okay now onto the suspension... This was a Nth Degree 4.5" long-arm kit with a 5" wheelbase stretch.  At the time this was a "prototype kit" not available to the public and as far as I know they only did about 15 or so of these kits before selling the product line to AEV.  I ran Walker Evans 16 way adjustable shocks in the rear and R.E. mono-tubes up ft.  The coils are a progressive spring rate that are frequency tunned and work flawlessly.

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »

Working on some Gen-right corner guards for the wheel base stretch and in this pic you can see the Nth degree stretch gas tank and skid.

If you look real close you can see that the ECM and Power Distribution Box have been relocated to the inside of the jeep where the Pass. air bag was.  Getting ready for tube fenders.

FOLLOW MY BUILD
wareagle83
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »

Dave Brown Story - #1 of many..

After getting to Ben Belknaps trail located on his property in Oldham county, we precede to wheel for the better part of the day.  I'm pretty sure Max was there, as was Siebert, Autozone Al, and maybe a few others.  I'm riding shotgun in Dave's Jeep taking care of the cooler duties while changing out CD's, mostly Springsteen and Mr. Buffett which was fine with me of course Smiley The day's rolling along riding shotgun with Dave which was always a good time. Sierra Nevada number ten bites the dust about the time Son of a Sailor comes to a close on the cd player as we hit a huge rut and come to a stop. Dirty Dale Siebert and Al stop ahead of us and Al turns around in his seat and motions to us that there is something wrong with Dave's Jeep.  Hand signals not working, Al decides it would be better to start to yell at us that Dave's tie-rod is bent, and bent it clearly was.  After 3 or 4 attempts of screaming at us, all the while Margaritaville is cranked to 10 on the ol radio; Dave turns down the music FINALLY, leans out the side of the door and calmly says to Al who is 10 or 15 feet in front of us with a bewildered look on his face, "Fuck my tie-rod".  A quick shift into 1st, the familiar ku-shhh sound of a bottle being opened, and a turn on the volume knob happens next as we roar around Al's jeep spraying mud everywhere.  I'm laughing my ass off as Dave hit's 3rd gear on a narrow muddy slope in the trail while I start to sing a drunken off-key version of Come Monday, or hell maybe it was Born to Run. Smiley

-Later that afternoon, Dave would make a valiant effort at a steep uphill climb out of the creek.  After failing 3 or 4 times, and his jeep coming to a rest with the driver side front tire pointing a full 90 degrees to the left, Dave would agree that his tie-rod indeed looked to be a little bent...........It was in the shape of a horseshoe and someones ass was heading to AutoZone.

The last upgrade to this rig should without a doubt be a CD holder, maybe a visor mounted one from Wal-Mart or Autozone would work well.  You never know when you'll wanna bring Buffett and the Boss along on a trail ride, haha.
skipfierce

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 07:55:44 AM »

Great story! "Fuck my tie-rod!" LOL! Sounds like Dave was my kind of guy.

The CJ!

My drinking club has a rock crawling problem!
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »

Great story! "Fuck my tie-rod!" LOL! Sounds like Dave was my kind of guy.

SKIP you would haved loved wheelin with Dave.  He was a blast!!

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 08:57:12 AM »

Here's some pics of the tube fenders and batt. mount that Chris and I made.

This is the Viking Offroad soft top.

Here's a link of Jon the owner of Viking Offroad and myself in Moab UT changing from a bikini top to a soft top.

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »

I quess I could do some more updates on this thread Grin Grin Grin

FOLLOW MY BUILD
KatKrahel

'03 Tomb Raider ready for adventure

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 07:32:05 AM »

It is always nice to see the work that is done to other Jeeps.  Thus giving us ideas for ours.
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 08:21:35 AM »

bill you need one of these soft tops.... you ever seen one before??  They don't have a frame.  They work off the roll bar and the windows store in the bikini top.

FOLLOW MY BUILD
KatKrahel

'03 Tomb Raider ready for adventure

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »

Will it clear the new cage you are putting in for me?  I watched the video clip but my budget is spent and am anxiously awaiting this build.  Perhaps Santa will bring me one or I will drop the wife a little hint for my B-Day in Aug.
Bad Hair Day
Administrator

It's MAX

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 08:37:05 AM »

here's what it ended up looking like....    Grin Grin

FOLLOW MY BUILD
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: